Friday, April 04, 2008

Kina cool

Wacko! 17 out of 20 velvets sold in the exhibition and I am now taking on private commissions. Kakapo have featured lately and I am working on Kina- the shells not the insides which I tasted recently down at Chaffers wharf. I'm still trying to get the taste out of my mouth. They are an acquired taste apparently- perhaps you have to grow up on them (not throw up on them).

The big one for me this year is that I am a judge for the New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards. I have read and digested around 140 books researched, written and illustrated by our wonderful talent in New Zealand. Confidentiality clauses with NZ Booksellers means I cannot comment on the judging process at all, but for any writer or illustrator reading this, I would like to say it has been a privilege and an honour to be in this position and thank-you for scribing and painting when surely the odds of publishing seem to be against us all so many times. The process has made me acutely aware of the fact that there can only be 5 finalists per category and one winner per section. I shall apply this new revelation to my Wearable Art entries (and get over it!)

No comments: