Here are some links that will tell you a little more about me.
Fifi is an award winning junior fiction novelist, children’s book illustrator, non-fiction author and a long-standing presenter of arts and crafts on firstly TVNZ’s ‘What Now’ and then ‘The Good Morning Show’. Fifi is a veteran of Wearable Arts; a finalist and award winner over 21 years with 23 entries in show. Her work has been exhibited many times in Nelson’s World of WearableArt Museum and her piece ‘Lady Curiosity’ is currently touring internationally. She has also worked with Richard Taylor’s Weta Workshop, Peter Jackson’s Stone Street Studios, Pukeko Pictures and The Production Shed as a costumier, puppet maker, illustrator and crafts expert.
MA Crew (IIML Victoria University 2003) achieved with Merit in Scriptwriting
Art History Levels 1 & 2 (Victoria University 1999-2000)
Diploma Vis Com (Wellington Polytechnic 1980)
Costume & Props
- WORLD OF WEARABLEART 1995- present
- 23 entries, all in show, some have won prizes, many have been bought by the Trust
- Waitakere Trash To Fashion award winner 200
- The Production Shed puppet maker for 'HuHu' Maori Television
- Weta Workshop WotWot puppet maker 2011
- 3ft 7 Costume Illustrator for 'The Hobbit' 2010
- Weta Workshop workshop costumier 'The Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe' 2004
- Capital E head designer and painter managing a team for 'A Victorian Christmas' street in house installation 2007
- Capital E designer and workshop host of various installations and workshops including Circus, Cuba St Carnival and Medieval Madness
Writing & Publishing
- Freelance Illustrator & writer since 1981 providing creative services to the New Zealand advertising, publishing and design industries. 2001-2003 lived in Bristol, U.K working for Community arts organisations and wrote web content for The Real Adventure direct advertising agency in Bath.
- Author of 3 published junior fiction novels and illustrator of over 30 picture book titles.
- Author of 5 published non fiction titles
- Writer in Schools NZ Book Council.
- Weta Workshop: 2003 trainee scriptwriter for Jane & the Dragon, with Martin Baynton (creator of Jane & the Dragon and The Wot Wots)
- Next Magazine (ACP) Columnist 1995- 2003 with a regular witty verse and illustration column and the occasional article.
- About Kids Magazine (ACP) regular columnist and illustrator
- What Now Magazine 1984- 86 art director and illustrator
Workshops, Teaching and Presenting
- T.V Presenter 2006- 2011, weekly on the Good Morning Show (TV1), children’s arts and crafts and art presenter on ‘What Now’ 1986- 1993.
- Storylines Festival Tour author/illustrator 2003- 2016 (includes Bus Tour around Auckland Schools, Family Festival days in Wellington, New Plymouth and Auckland and running writing and illustration workshops)
- Costume Workshop tutor for Wearable Arts, Artsplash & Smokefree Schools WOW Quest (since 2004). Working with teachers wanting to extend their knowledge for curriculum, adults wishing to enter the awards and students creating wearable art at school.
- Writing and Illustration workshops around New Zealand as required by Festival groups
- Tutoring part time at Christchurch and Wellington Design Schools in Graphic Techniques, Book Illustration, 2d Design Fundamentals, Drawing, Illustration and Text, Commercial Illustration and Business Practice (for final year Design and Craft Design students), on and off until 2005.
- Life Drawing Tutor Wellington High School Community Education classes 2009
- Workshop Creator & Presenter Te Papa, Wellington Museums Trust (Museum of City & Sea, Capital E)
Teamwork, exhibitions and residencies
- StartUp Wellington team participant 2012
- Co-convenor of Spinning Gold ’09, New Zealand’s first national conference for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators held in Wellington September 2009.
- NZ Post Children’s Book Awards Judge 2008
- Past Convener of the WCBA (Wellington Children’s Book Association 2006-2009).
- Storylines Festival Committee member 2003-2012
- Past President of the New Zealand Illustrator’s Guild (NZIG).
- Past President of the Christchurch’s Artist, Designers& Illustrators (ADI).
- Velvet Resurrection Deluxe Café and Nelson WOW Museum Gallery 2008
- Bountiful Burlesque life drawings, Deluxe Cafe, Wellington 2012
- Artist in Residence New Pacific Studio, Mt Bruce, April- May 2007. WOW costume creation and choreographed a performance piece for the local ANZAC day memorial service on the recently renovated Memorial Bridge.
- Artist in residence Island Bay School. One month working with selected students to create a piece of Wearable Art that reflected their environment and involved art from each child in the school.
- Janie Olive - A Recipe for Disaster: Fifi Colston Storylines Notable Book Junior Fiction for 2006.
- Itiiti’s Gift : Melanie Drewery & Fifi Colston Storylines Notable Book- picture book 2007
- Glory: Fifi Colston Storylines Notable Book Junior Fiction 2010 , shortlisted for the LIANZA Esther Glen Award
- The Red Poppy - David Hill & Fifi Colston 2013 Storylines Notable Picture Book for 2013
- Wearable Wonders- Fifi Colston Non Fiction Finalist New Zealand Post Book Awards 2014
- Wearable Wonders- Fifi Colston Non Fiction Winner Elsie Locke Award Non Fiction LIANZA 2014
- Wearable Wonders- Fifi Colston Storylines Notable Book- Non Fiction 2014
- Ghoulish get Ups- Fifi Colston Finalist Non Fiction New Zealand Book Awards 2015
- Ghoulish get Ups- Fifi Colston Storylines Notable Book- Non Fiction 2015
- Wild Cards- Fifi Colston Tessa Duder Award Fiction Finalist
- The Old Man and The Cat- Anthony Holcroft (Whitcoulls) 1984
- Mr Magee Comes Home for his Tea- Janet Slater-Redhead (Scholastic)1984
- Rain- Barbara Hill (Scholastic)1984
- The Oldest Garden in China- Anthony Holcroft (Whitcoulls) 1985
- Not Without Randolph- Ruth Corrin (Scholastic)1993
- Fifi's Crafty Arts (book one)-- Fifi Colston (Scholastic)1995
- Fifi's Crafty Arts (book two) Fifi Colston (Scholastic)1995
- Fifi's Festive Fun- Fifi Colston (Scholastic)1995
- Midnight Feast- Elizabeth Pulford (Scholastic)1996
- Get Real Paddy Manson- Ruth Corrin (Harper Collins)1996
- This Tail- Brosie Browne (Lands End)1996
- It's My Bread- Diana Noonan (Learning Media)1997
- Dear Tom- Diana Noonan (Lands End)1997
- Mystery Valley- John Parsons (Nelson ITP)2000
- The Great Egg Problem- Quentin Flynn (Nelson ITP)2000
- Going Places- Margaret Cahill (Learning Media) 2000
- Brother Trouble- Anna Kenna (Learning Media )2001
- The Great New Zealand Activity Book (NZ Illustrators’ Guild) 2000
- Toroa (The Albatross) Hannah Rainforth (Huia) 2001
- Kei te Papa Kainga- Te Waari Carekeek (Huia)2003
- Nga Taonga O Te Kaitiora- Wiremu Grace (Huia) 2002
- Te Takaro Tirama – Robina Broughton (Huia)2003
- Te Ao Ahuahanga - Chelsea Wharepapa (Hui) 2003
- My Brother- Sally Sutton (Learning Media) 2003
- Tylers Tower- Vivienne Joseph (Learning Media) 2004
- My Name is Laloifi- Dan Taulapa McMullin (Learning Media) 2005
- Waka Wairua- Yvonne Morrison (Reed) 2005
- Finding Tibs- Sian Burling-Claridge (Learning Media) 2006
- Papa’s Island- Melanie Drewery (Reed) 2006
- Itiiti’s Gift - Melanie Drewery (Reed) 2006
- Various- School Journal Illustrations and covers for Scholastic, Learning Media, Shortlands, McMillan, Longman Paul, TVNZ Enterprises
- I Mind One Time- Hugh McDowell (Stevens Publishing)2010
- A Place to Sleep- Andrea Foot (Learning Media) 2012
- The Red Poppy- David Hill (Scholastic) 2012
- Far Far From Home - Elizabeth Pulford (Scholastic) 2012
- Wearable Wonders - Fifi Colston (Scholastic) 2013
- Ghoulish Get Ups- Fifi Colston (Scholastic) 2014
- Torty and the Soldier - Jennifer Beck (Scholastic) 2017
- Grandad's Guitar - Janine McVeagh (Makaro) 2017
- Fifi Verses The World- Steel Roberts 2000
- Verity’s Truth Junior Fiction (Scholastic) 2003
- Janie Olive - A Recipe for Disaster Junior Fiction (Scholastic) 2005
- Glory Junior Fiction (Scholastic) 2004
Exhibited WOW garments and awards:
1995- ‘Treasured Thicket’ (with Sylvia Campbell, Robyn Martin) Bizarre Bra Finalist
1997- ‘The Secret Garden’ Man Unleashed Finalist (purchased by Trust)
1998- ‘The Bee Cup’- Bizarre Bra Finalist (purchased by Trust)
1999- ‘The Topsy Turvy Dolly Chick’ Children's Highly Commended
2000- ‘Flash Yer Tits’ Bizarre Bra Commended (purchased by Trust)
2000- ‘The Ideal Woman’ Bizarre Bra Highly Commended (purchased by Trust)
2001- ‘Come out of Your Shell’ Children's Section Finalist (purchased by Trust)
2002- ‘Collecting Gargoyles’ Bizarre Bra Finalist (purchased by Trust)
2003- ‘Bodice Ripper’ Bizarre Bra Finalist
2004- ‘Love is a Temporary Madness Bizarre Bra Finalist
2005- ‘Sophia’s Story’ Air New Zealand South Pacific Finalist
2006- ‘Virtual Realittity’ (with Chris Chitty) Bizarre Bra Finalist
2006 -‘Body Type’ Illumination Illusion Finalist
2007- ‘ Persephone in Cuba St’ Illumination Illusion Finalist (purchased by Trust)
2008- ‘The Birth of Venus’ Air New Zealand South Pacific Highly Commended (purchased by Trust)
2009- ‘Kunugi Kodama' Children's Section Finalist
2010- ‘Lady Curiosity' Avant Garde Commended (purchased by Trust)
2011- ‘Vena Immaculata' Geni Excellence Section Honourable Mention
2012- Exhibition garment: ‘Come out of Your Shell’ Children's Section
2013 - 'Angel's Trippy Trumpet' Man Unleashed Honourable Mention
2014- 'Mighty Acorns' Bizarre Bra Finalist
2014- 'Talofa Lava' Air New Zealand Pacific Section Finalist
2015- 'Morphology' with Josiene Van Maarseveen Weta Workshop: Other Worlds Finalist
2016- 'Poutini's Mother Lode' Aotearoa Section Finalist
Garments purchased by The WOW Trust including Kunugi Kodama and Vena Immaculata have been exhibited at various times in the WOW Museum in Nelson.
Persephone in Cuba Street and Lady Curiosity featured in the 2 year nationwide touring 'Off The Wall Exhibition'
Lady Curiosity is now touring in the National and International Exhibition WOW and Workshop-e